Braces are a great way to gain an attractive smile, ensure your keep good oral health and have more confidence each and every day. However, the quality of the results, in many instances, is largely dependent on how well the patient cares for the braces and their oral health during treatment.Braces require many people to…
Speak with an Orthodontist in Leawood About the Pros and Cons of Braces
A lot of patients visit us to speak with an orthodontist in Leawood when trying to determine which type of braces they want to use to straighten their teeth. While there is a lot of information online about new and improved ways of doing so, the best way to get advice is to visit our office for a consultation.
In the meantime, here are some of the pros and cons of various orthodontic solutions.
Traditional metal braces
- They are very durable
- This is the oldest and therefore most tested technology
- They are ideal for kids
- They are effective for aligning a patient’s bite with the use of things like rubber bands
- The metal brackets and wires are not discrete so it is easy to tell that they are being worn
- The wires need to be adjusted on a regular basis which requires routine appointments at the orthodontist office
Clear ceramic braces
- The brackets are made of tooth colored ceramic and the wires are tooth colored as well so they blend in with the tooth structure
- They can be used to align the bite with the help of additional solutions like rubber bands
- The brackets can easily become stained from doing things like drinking coffee or eating red pasta on a regular basis
- The wires will need to be adjusted regularly, creating the need for routine orthodontic appointments
- The aligners are nearly invisible and difficult to detect
- They are removable which gives patients flexibility and control
- They can align the bite if the bite problem was caused by the placement of the teeth only
- Patients can eat what they want during the treatment because the aligners come out when eating
- They can easily become lost
- Patients who do not remember to wear them long enough will have delays in the treatment plan
- They are not suited for solving serious bite problems
Similarities between all of the options
As an orthodontist in Leawood, we like to point out that all of these options are incredibly effective for straightening the teeth and improving our patients' smiles. They produce incredible results and are typically used to do things like close gaps in between teeth, straighten crooked teeth and bring the bite into better alignment.
Due to this, we often refer to our patients' lifestyle preferences when making a determination for which option would be best for a particular patient. For example, anyone who is mostly concerned about their appearance may prefer clear aligners. However, people who are worried about durability may prefer traditional metal braces. These are all things that we take into consideration when creating a treatment plan.
Schedule a consultation
Ultimately, the best way to determine which option may be right for you is to visit our office. We encourage you to call and schedule an appointment to speak with an orthodontist in Leawood today. We are confident in our ability to make a recommendation for a solution that is going to be effective and fit with your lifestyle.